More Empties! September went by rather fast.
My prediction that I would run out of most of my skincare in September was wrong. But, that was mainly because I spent a week out of town and was forced to “streamline” my skincare routine (and pull out some minis). So, I didn’t run out of as much skincare as I predicted…
Below I’ve shared what I emptied, but here’s what I ended up buying in September (trying to keep track of that as well): Shiseido White Lucent Protective Emulsion, Shiseido Eudermine Essence (and I got a free gift!), Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow in Taupe, Anastasia Beverly Hills #12 Duo Brow Brush, Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Gel (all the Anastasia stuff is awesome), NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Copenhagen and Transylvania, NYX Simply Vamp Lip Cream in Enamored and Giorgio Armani Rouge Ecstasy Lipstick in 204 Caffe (notice a vampy lip theme?). Oh, and Sumi Charcoal Cleaning Foam and some Korean sheet masks. I’ve got to slow down!
Here are September’s Empties:
- Purchase? No.
- Repurchase? Yes.
Olay Regenerist UV Defense Regenerating Lotion with SPF 50 – For a lotion with this high of SPF, this is the lightest weight one that I’ve ever tried. It was great for summer (when my skin was less dry). It’s fast absorbing and doesn’t leave white streaks.
- Repurchase? Maybe. For the price, I’ll probably switch back to Paula’s Choice.
Olay Regenerist Daily Regenerating Serum, Fragrance-Free – I absolutely loved this serum for day use BUT I heard that they reformulated it with possible allergens. It really pisses me off when skincare companies do this. I mean, this is stuff we put on our faces and an “ingredients change” should be disclosed.
- Repurchase? Nope. I may if they go back to the formula the original formula. In the meantime, I’m going back to Paula’s Choice.
Innisfree It’s Real Acai Berry Mask – This was the first one that I tried with a lotion texture. The scent is a faint tart berry-citrus (that smells much better than what I’m describing). The lotion is rich but quickly absorbs. And it’s alcohol-free.
- Repurchase? Yeah. I liked the serum-based ones from this line but my dry skin really responded nicely to this cream/lotion based one. I looked dewy and glowy the day afterwards.
Innisfree It’s Real Jejubija Mask – This is a watery serum mask for oily, troubled skin. This usually isn’t my skin type but I was sick and my skin broke out. It has a faint “green, fresh” aroma. It didn’t moisturize like the other Innisfree sheet masks that I’ve used. But, in all fairness, it wasn’t for dry skin.
- Repurchase? Probably not. It wasn’t bad but I like the more moisturizing formulas from Innisfree much better.
- Repurchase? Yes
Sumi Charcoal Facial Cleansing Foam – This is a Japanese cleansing foam from Daiso. I haven’t checked pH and I’m sure that technically it should be too drying for me, blah, blah. But, doing double cleansing, I really like it. Or I should say that I liked it in the summer months.
- Repurchase? Yes. And it’s like under $2…
Erno Laszlo Morning Beauty Rescue (sample) – Geez, this is the gimmick-iest primer that I’ve ever seen in my life. It claims to do it all because of “gemstones” and it seriously has stuff like malachite in it. It’s a lightweight gel primer with these rather large rose gold shimmer flakes. There’s two things that make me mad with this one. #1 – Claims to offer UV protection but doesn’t say how much SPF AND doesn’t look like any sunscreens are listed. And #2 It’s an “homage to Marilyn Monroe…a perfect post-party pick-me-up”. It’s lame because it’s an homage, using her name to sell stuff when she’s dead. It’s rude.
- Purchase? No. I didn’t like it. Finish was like so glittery it seemed like it would be sold at Claire’s.
Conclusion – I emptied a lot but not as much as I expected to.
- Purchase? Yes. I would love to have this one for next spring/summer.
Conclusion – I didn’t use up many fragrance products because I was focusing on trying and testing new stuff.
BODY & BATH
Kracie Naive Peach Body Wash – I take it that Naive is like Dove, Softsoap or something in Japan, like “drugstore” products. This is a cheap, huge body wash with a pump that can be found at Japanese markets.They sell refills too. It’s something that I buy once or twice a year. It’s a super foamy shower gel that it floral like “peach blossom”, very delicate, very Japanese scent.
- Repurchase? Yeah, it’s something I pick up when I’m in the mood.
- Purchase? Probably not. I love the soap but I think I prefer the Shower Cream in this line.
Ancient Olive Liquid Soap in Amber Musk – This is a really good soap for those with dry skin. It’s olive and laurel oil based. The bottle that I have was made in Syria but obviously that is an issue these days; they’re now made in Tunisia. I’m rather neutral about the scent. It’s like a hippie musk instead of the smooth amber that I was expecting.
- Repurchase? No. I’ve tried other scents from this line that I like better. I’ll repurchase this brand but not this scent.
Burt’s Bees Almond Milk Beeswax Hand Cream – I have been using this on and off for at least 15 years. I keep repurchasing becuase I love the almond aroma. And it’s thick so I like using it at night.
- Repurchase? Yes. I always come back to it.
Some Rose Korean Bar Soap (not pictured)- I don’t know the name of this one. It’s all in Korean. It’s a bar soap that smells like rose/barley. It’s probably for “arm pit lightening” or something.
- Repurchase? I guess so. Oddly I liked this rose/barley scent.
- Repurchase? Yes. But, for some dumb reason the lotion is only available at Christmas or Mother’s Day.
Revlon Jean Nate Shower Gel – See above.
- Repurchase? Yes. And this is even more difficult to find than the lotion. It usually comes in some goofy gift set around Christmas.
Conclusion – It was a “liquid soap” month, used less bar soaps than I usually do.
Silk Elements MegaSilk Olive Oil Heat Protection Spray – I actually don’t know if these make a difference when you’re frying your hair, but I do use heat protections sprays. I like this one and it’s one that I’ve repurchased over the years.
- Repurchase? Yes.
Iden Bee Nourished Shampoo (sample, not pictured) – I used this twice and I think it’s a rather good “regular” shampoo for dry hair.
- Purchase? I think it’s good but it’s not easy to find. So, I don’t know.
Iden Bee Propolis Treatment (sample, not pictured) – I used this twice as well. This is a really thick conditioner that did leave my hair feeling really soft. A little goes a long way.
- Purchase? I think it’s really good but it’s pricey, so probably not.
Conclusion – I keep using heat protective sprays because I like to think that they work. They probably don’t. Heat is horrible for hair.
Avon True Color Eyeshadow Duo in Almond Biscotti – Well, I sort of used all of this. I used the lighter matte shade and most of the dark brown (in brows). And then I got sick of owning it when I have other neutral matte shadows too. I have to face the fact that there is no way that I’m going to fully use every last drop of my color cosmetics…
- Repurchase? No. It’s OK but there are better matte neutrals out there (and I could get better stuff for brows; hence, my Anastasia purchases). The pigment is sort of light with this even with a primer. It’s one of those duos for pale complexions.
L’Oreal Voluminous Miss Manga Mascara in Black – I bought this because I couldn’t resist the ad campaign. And then I started seeing really positive reviews online. I’ve learned that I like the mascaras that nobody else likes. I’m sort of neutral on this one. It seriously leaves my lashes looking all clumpy and thick but if you look at the ads, this is what they are advertising. Personally, I don’t like a clumpy, spidery look. Flexi wand was OK. For me, this was an OK mascara. I didn’t throw it out and I’ve done that with plenty.
- Repurchase? Probably not. There are plenty other drugstore mascaras that I like better. I do think it’s worth trying if you haven’t already.
Conclusion – If I hit the pan of any powder product, it’s pretty much an “empty” right???
Total: 22, 17 full-size, 0 travel/deluxe samples, 5 samples
This month has left me realizing that I need to slow down on the color cosmetics again. I’m buying more of that than I’m emptying. That is no good.
What about you? Which products did you use up in September? Did you purchase anything in September? Did you throw out anything? I actually didn’t get to do that this past month…maybe that should be my goal for October…
*Post contains a few affiliate links. Pics are from vendors and put together by me because I can’t stand having empty bottles and stuff around to take a pic of all as a group. I’m a bad beauty blogger.