Now that summer is over, I can look back at my stash and see what I wore the most. This summer was different than summers before. We moved to a place with no A/C and the summer was hotter than average. The new place has this special ability to trap heat (bet it won’t do that in the winter!) so many nights, I was trying to fall asleep in a place where the thermostat was reading 88º. I also take mass transit (up to eight buses daily) and most city buses lack A/C. This summer I was all about “clean” and “fresh”, finding myself wearing citrus scents that I usually neglect. Everything felt so “heavy” this summer. I really just wanted to wear light, soapy scents.
On the milder days in early and late summer, I found myself wearing things that fit into two themes: Clean Musks and Serge Lutens.
12. Jul et Mad Aqua Sextius EDP – It’s a nouveau aquatic that is fresh, mineral and green. I enjoyed this more than I ever thought I would. Full review.
10. Sage Diamond Perfume Oil – Here’s another that I wore at night over clean, musky body oils (see above). Diamond is a crisp, clear musk. Full review.
9. Serge Lutens De Profundis EDP – I say that De Profundis is like a really glamorous funeral. I really love this blend of cool greens and cool florals. Full review.
8. Serge Lutens Bais de Soie EDP – This cool floral is one of my favorite perfumes. It’s a cold iris. Full review.
7. Serge Lutens Fille de Berlin EDP – Another cool floral, this time a sheer rose with a hint of cardamom. Full review.
6. Mulhens 4711 Cologne – It really doesn’t get much more boring than this but when one wants light, sheer and fresh, this stuff will always get the job done. Full review.
5. Serge Lutens Clair de Musc EDP – Well, here’s my crossover of clean musks and Serge Lutens.
4. Clarins Eau Dynamisante Cologne – Herbal, fresh and “clean” with a nice amount of patchouli. One I’ve been wearing in hot weather since I was a teenager.
3. Jean Naté EDP (vintage) – I layered this over Jean Naté shower gel, body lotion and powder. This is just my “summer clean smell” that I wear on those days where you feel like you need to take four showers just to be presentable to the world. Jean Naté is “classic clean” to me. I wore this so much and I was really surprised to see what a small “dent” I put in this bottle. Full review.
2. Thierry Mugler Cologne – It’s a weirder eau de cologne. Another one of my “go-to”s when it is hot and gross outside.
1. Balmain Monsieur Balmain EDT – This was like the summer of Balmain for me. This is a lemon chypre with glowing neon lights. Pretty much the only thing I could “stomach” on most days due to the heat. I started with a full bottle and now have about 1/4 left. Full review.
Overall, this is a really different “most worn” sort of list for me. But, it totally fit with my life this summer. I’m ready to move on. I’m starting to crave richer scents. And don’t worry. I’m fine. I’m now back to my usual roses and orientals.
What did you find yourself wearing the most of this past summer? Any surprises? Old favorites or new favorites?