This month we moved. After being forced to deal with all of my stuff, I realize that I have too much stuff. I donated 90% of my clothes and shoes to LifeLong AIDS Alliance (I’m attempting to do the capsule wardrobe thing). I want to simplify my life. This move has reminded me that I have an embarrassing amount of cosmetics, skincare, body products, and, um, perfume. I decided in June that I couldn’t buy anything for myself. If I run out, I probably have something like it. And if that “something” isn’t a replacement, I should throw it out. Yes, I’m on a no-buy for June. And I’m not stopping there. I’m planning a no-buy until September. See the end of this post to see my exceptions.*
Clarins Liquid Bronze Self Tanning – I love the complexion that I was born with but sometimes I want a glow. And that is what Liquid Bronze gives. It does not provide a tan but a glow (which is actually a better color than the color my skin actually tans to, my real tan looks fake). People always ask me what life change I’ve made when I use this. “What skincare are you using?” or “Are you drinking more water? Working out?”. I usually don’t tell them that the change is me rubbing some chemicals on my face that make me apparently look better than I did before. <sigh>
- Repurchase? Yes. I’ve went through many of these bottles throughout the years. It’s not something I use daily or even frequently so a bottle usually lasts me a year. I’m one of those people that has fantastic luck with Clarins self tanning products.
Clarins Delectable Self Tanning Mousse (deluxe size – 1.5 oz) – This came in a sun care gift set by Clarins. It’s a “whipped” lotion feel and it smells like peaches. I like it but I don’t like it as well as Liquid Bronze. The color with this one is lighter (I’ve only used it on my face).
- Purchase? No. It’s not bad but I already have a HG so I’ll stick with it.
Malin + Goetz Mojito Lip Balm – I wanted the Lip Moisturizer (which is fragrance-free) but when I went to Barneys she grabbed this one. I didn’t notice until I got home and was too lazy to return a $12 item. I like the thick formula but I don’t like minty stuff on my lips.
- Repurchase? No. But, I’ll buy the fragrance-free version.
Acure Dark Chocolate & Mint Lip Balm – It has a great texture but I hate mint lip products (this was a gift with purchase). But, I managed to use this one up. Why do I keep things around that I don’t like?
- Purchase? No. I don’t like mint. My lips are too sensitive.
Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair (GWP size sample x 2) – I love this stuff.
- Repurchase? Yes. It’s a product that I have been using on and off for years.
Shisiedo Benefiance WrinkleResist24 Eye Contour Cream (deluxe sample) – This came in a gift set and it has lasted a long time (like 9 months). But, honestly I don’t love it. It’s a thick cream that is good for night (and dry skin) but I don’t notice anything (good or bad) from using it.
- Purchase? No. I’m pretty sure that coconut oil would do the same as this. But hey, if I get it “free” again, I’ll use it.
Jack Black Protein Booster Eye Rescue (sample) – Unscented and lightweight eye cream. I think I have so many eye cream samples that I won’t have to buy any until 2015. Anyway, this is a good light cream but I need something with more moisture.
- Purchase? No. But, I do recommend it to anyone wanting a lightweight eye cream.
Origins Checks & Balances Frothy Face Wash (1.7 oz size) – This is a very foaming cleanser. However, it’s too drying for my skintype. And I don’t like the minty fragrance. Overall, it seems sort of harsh.
- Repurchase? No. I love how it foams but it’s not a good match for me.
Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cleanser (2.5 oz size) – I bought this unscented cleanser because Paula told me too. Add this to the long list of cleansers she recommends that I don’t like. It dries me out. I’ll eventually find something foaming that I like.
- Repurchase? No. I’m happy I bought the smaller size.
Golden Rose Makeup Remover Wipes – Leftovers from Turkish travels (which was barely a month ago). I needed something to remove makeup and with a decent pH. They did their job.
- Repurchase? No. I’m not really a fan of makeup remover wipes but if I ever need something like this again and if I’m in a country that sells Golden Rose, I’ll repurchase. These things really are great for travel.
TokyoMilk No. 16 Ex Libris EDP – What the what!? I used up another perfume? Yes, but I made it a priority. I only had a small amount of this cardamom fig tea (which very much resembles Bvlgari Thé Rouge which resembles By Kilian Bamboo Harmony).
- Repurchase? No. It doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t recommend it. It’s just that I have a ton of perfumes and I have a big ‘ole, brand new bottle of Bvlgari Thé Rouge that needs some love. And I also think this TokyoMilk has been discontinued.
- Repurchase? Yes. I have too many candles right now, but I do like this as a home fragrance. Plus, it has major throw.
- Repurchase? I guess. I have too many darn candles and I’m so happy to have went through two this month! I like the scent but I know I’m going to flirt around with something else.
I debated including perfume samples in my empties, but hey, it’s a perfume blog. I have hundreds of samples so emptying one does mean something.
- Purchase? Yes. I’m in a no-buy but this is on my list. I want that solid perfume locket.
- Purchase? No. I’m not really a citrus-y person. It’s good but not something I see myself wearing frequently. The travel size was nice though.
BATH & BODY
B&BW True Blue Spa Morocco Sweet Fig & Argan Body Lotion – If you drive from Seattle to Portland, you usually stop in this dump called Centralia for a Burgerville milkshake and there’s a B&BW outlet. You go there if you want to stretch your legs AKA buy discontinued candles. I picked this up because I love figs. It’s a pretty basic lotion with a tart fruity fig and greens scent. I layered it under Ex Libris.
- Repurchase? No. Even though it’s selling on eBay for $40+. People are crazy.
Haus of Gloi Bubbling Scrub in Insalata Nocturna (mini jar) – I love the formula but didn’t love the scent of this one (a sweet citrus). Review here.
- Repurchase? No. There are other scents that I like better than this one.
The Body Shop Chocomania Body Butter – Back in the winter I got in my head that I wanted a gourmand lotion. It was on sale for $10 and I picked it up. It’s like a sweetened version of cocoa butter with almond. It doesn’t smell as good as the EDT.
- Repurchase? No (especially at SRP). It served its purpose but I have a feeling I don’t want to smell like this ever again.
Naiad Sugar Whipped Soap in Cardamom Vanilla – See above. I bought this at a time of gourmand cravings during winter hibernation. This is a sugar scrub with a delicious cardamom vanilla aroma. Full review.
- Repurchase? Yes. But, I’ll wait until winter hibernation.
Rene Furterer Fioravanti Shine Conditioning Conditioner (deluxe sample) – I love that this product bothers to describe their “aroma” as citrus, lemon, orange and mandarin! The second ingredient is vinegar! It smells just like vinegar. This is a $30+ bottle of vinegar lotion. I would be better off doing an actual vinegar rinse because the third ingredient is alcohol. This thin, runny conditioner left my hair feeling so dry. And smelling like vinegar.
- Purchase? No. Total crap for my hair type. Seriously, one of the worst hair products that I’ve ever used in my entire life.
HerCut The Bob Catalyst – It takes me so long to use up a hair product that by the time I’m finished with it the brand is out of business! This was a great product for my naturally straight and thick hair (that is cut in a geometric bob). Plus, I liked to pretend it was my Southern self saying “haircut” when I said the name…HerCut.
- Repurchase? No. It’s not even possible. And in other news, I’m trying to grow out this bob that I’ve had for years.
Covergirl Smoothers Lip Liner in Cinnamon Slick – I’m in the beauty minority, but I love lip liners. This was my “perfect nude” and when it was discontinued I stocked up. Well, this was my last one and I used it up. Now off to find a new perfect nude.
- Repurchase? I can’t. And it’s time for me to move on. I’ve decided that I’m no longer going to “stock up” on colors.
L’Oreal Infallible Eyeliner in Carbon Black – A good mechanical eyeliner. Not great but good.
- Repurchase? No. I like it but I like Urban Decay 24/7 better.
Maja Compact Powder in Morisco – When I travel to places that sell thee, I buy many. It smells like musk and it provides lots of coverage. I’m sad that the last place that I’ve been that sold these was Puerto Rico and that was a year ago 🙁
- Repurchase? Yes. Also gives me an excuse to travel.
Empties total for June: 25. There were 14 full-size, 9 travel/deluxe sample size and 2 samples.
Wow. When I set my mind to using up all the half used products, I can actually use them up.
*I’m making this official. I can do this. I will use up my stuff and start wearing the things I truly love. I’m not buying anything unless I truly need it and have nothing like it. I may buy the following: face toners (no back-ups of this), mascara (gross to use old tubes), sunscreen (it’s summer, this is a medical necessity) and bar soap. And shampoo/conditioner and AHA/BHA if I just so happen to run out.
I will not buy fun seasonal colors (I rarely wear them). I will avoid limited edition packaging (probably have colors just like them). I won’t buy any perfumes, even if I hear they are being discontinued or are on sale. I won’t even buy the little Sinful Color nail polishes that I always impulse buy whenever I step foot in a drugstore. I can do this. And you’re welcome to join me because misery loves company.
Empties from May ’14.
*Nordstrom, beauty.com, drugstore.com and Sephora are all affiliate links. Thanks!