April was a super busy month and I can’t believe it’s already over. I spent the month moving and in settling in to life on the East Coast. The place is finally starting to look and feel like home.
Well, I bought more than I should have this month in the beauty department. I ran out of skincare, so I repurchased a few items. My skin has been so dry and sensitive, so I had to buy CeraVe products (they really work for me). I also needed some hair stuff (shampoo and conditioner). I also bought a few bar soaps for the bathrooms.
And then for fun, I made a big ColourPop order. I really like their lippies. I’m not as crazy about the shadows as much as other bloggers are. They are a weird texture and smell like Silly Putty. But, the lippies, they’re awesome – so much pigment and smell like vanilla. I plan on ordering more lipsticks and lip liners.
And I found that Chinatown in NYC has a lot of Korean skincare stores so yeah, I splurged on like the last day of the month at TonyMoly, Nature Republic and The Face Shop. I can’t resist sheet masks. I’m sorry.
April was an odd month. I spent three of the weeks in New Jersey and then went back to Seattle for a week. You’ll see that I used up some samples/travel sizes during my travels.
Here’s what I used up in April:
Shisiedo White Lucent Brightening Protective Emulsion W – This is a really lightweight lotion with a low SPF (SPF 18 – why do they give the US products such a low SPF?). This was a repurchase for me but I admit that I’m torn. The formula isn’t moisturizing enough for the cool months but it layers so wonderfully under makeup. It’d be great in summer but the SPF is so low that I have to apply sunscreen over it so that changes how makeup layers over it.
- Repurchase? I really don’t know.
LadyKin Twinklight Soft Foam Cleansing in Kiwi – This was in a Memebox. It’s a Korean foaming cleanser that gets the job done. However, I’m not a fan of the green apple-ish scent. Actually, I’m not a fan of this product. I mean, it must have been difficult for them to hunt down the one Korean foaming cleanser that I don’t like.
- Repurchase? No.
TonyMoly Pureness 100 Shea Butter Sheet Mask – This is a glycerin based serum mask meant to moisturize. It has a faint floral scent.
- Repurchase? Probably not. It’s not as moisturizing as other masks that I’ve tried. Honestly, I was a little disappointed.
3W Clinic Fresh Snail Sheet Mask – Isn’t that the grossest name ever? And it’s Samsung branded because everything in South Korean is Samsung branded. I get these super cheap at Korean markets, like 50 cents (maybe even less). This is a serum mask with a faint soapy floral aroma. This one had eye, mouth and nose holes too tiny for me so I had to rip them just so I could breath and not freak out. The formula is actually really sticky but my skin looks great the next day. Ugh, really mixed on this one.
- Repurchase? Well, I bought like 10 of these so I have more. This mask is less than perfect but I like the results.
3W Clinic Fresh White Sheet Mask – Another Samsung branded mask 🙂 This is a serum mask and the serum is thick and gel-like. It has a stronger soapy floral aroma. Unlike the Snail one, the holes on this one fit my face. Go figure. It does leave my skin feeling soft and looking great the day after.
- Repurchase? Yes. I already have like 10. And you know, I think I’d rather buy this one than the Snail one.
Neutrogena Fine Fairness Sheet Mask – I bought this in Hong Kong and why didn’t I buy more? I love these and they sell for like $40 a box in the US but it can be found eBay for less. It has a very faint scent and is full of vitamin C.
- Repurchase? Yes. I’ll probably go out of my way to find it. It was that good for me.
Phoenix Botanicals Faerie Balm (not pictured) – This is a multi-purpose moisturizer made form linden flowers and roses. It has a faint linden-honey aroma/flavor. I used it as a lip balm.
- Repurchase? Probably not because nothing beats Aquaphor for my chapped skin. However, if you want a natural lip product or cuticle stick, I highly recommend this.
Andalou Naturals Turmeric + C Enlighten Serum – This serum gets Paula’s seal of approval and the ingredient list is rather impressive. However, I’m 99% positive that this irritated my skin. I’ve never had issue with vitamin C serums before. I stopped using it, added it again and every single time I reintroduced it, my skin would get rashy and throw fits. So, it was demoted to a hand and foot serum.
- Repurchase? No. None of the other ingredients have caused me issues before. I don’t know what’s up. Also, don’t let my experience keep you from trying it. You know how skincare is. You don’t know unless you try.
Yes to Cucumbers Facial Towelettes – I usually don’t use these sort of things but they are good for travel because I feel this weird guilt when I jack up a hotel’s washcloths. These do the job but aren’t something I’d use everyday. And they smell like cucumbers.
- Repurchase? For travel, I will. Oddly enough, this is what David uses. So he buys them and I steal them.
Guerlain Divinora Baume de Ferté Lip Balm – This is a thicker matte finish balm that has a cheap wine/floral fragrance. It’s OK. It has taken me a lot of dollars to realize that the best thing for my lips is cheap ‘ole Aquaphor.
- Repurchase? No.
Aftelier Organic Face Elixir in Honeysuckle (sample) – This complexion oil smells amazing. No joke, it smells better than most natural perfumes out there. It’s a sweet, honeyed floral with a hint of watery melons. And the formula is great too. A small amount is all you need so this sample lasted a week of nightly application.
- Purchase? Yes.
Paula’s Choice Resist Dark Spot Eraser (sample) – This was just a sample, but I could tell that I like this 2% BHA much better than the BHA Lotion that I use. I like the texture and plus it’s supposed to have some ingredients for dark spots. It was only a sample so I can’t say if it works but I do like how it feels/exfoliates.
- Purchase? Yes but I still have an unused BHA Lotion 🙁
Perricone MD Advanced Eye Area Therapy (deluxe sample, not pictured) – Maybe I’m out of the loop but I felt like at one time all I ever heard about was Perricone MD skincare and now I don’t. Anyway, this is a good lightweight eye moisturizer. I actually don’t “believe” in eye creams because they NEVER live up to their claims. But, I think this one actually improved my eye area. I need a lot less concealer there after using this for a few weeks. I looked really rested and I mean, it’s allergy season, so what gives?
- Purchase? Yes. It’s on my list for when I run out of eye creams. Maybe I’m crazy or it was a coincidence. Regardless, I like how it feels. I’ve also learned my lesson about “cheap” eye creams.
La Colline Moisture Boost Cellular Rich Hydration Cream (deluxe sample) – The Swiss know what’s up when it comes to moisture. This is a rich cream that isn’t too heavy. It got rid of my pesky forehead dryness completely after one use. However, it sort of smells like Issey Miyake L’eau d’Issey.
- Purchase? Naw. I’m too busy buying perfumes and boots to have a budget for $200+ face creams.
Summary: I’m back to using masks to take care of some of some dehydrated skin annoyances. My skin is annoying right now and I know that I’m going to need all new skincare with hot, humid Northeast summers 🙁
Prada L’Eau Ambrée EDP (2.7 oz) – I think Prada is a rather reliable designer perfume line. This is one that I wore frequently (I mean, I emptied it). It’s like a salty ambergris with a rose dusting powder. However, have you had problems with these Prada bottles? I swear the sprayer always breaks and even the non-bulb atomizer ones leak/evaporate. Review here.
- Repurchase? Yes, I think I’ll pick up a small bottle. I really like this one.
Hiram Green Moon Bloom EDP (decant, not pictured) – This is a stunning tuberose, absolutely wonderful and one of my top two tuberoses. Guess I should buy a bottle, right? Oh, and I met Hiram Green this past month at Twisted Lily. He’s a really cool guy. Review here.
- Repurchase? Yep and I should get a full size.
Summary: I used an entire bottle of perfume. OMG!
BATH & BODY
Secret Key Perfume Hand Cream Petit No. 2 (not pictured)- Here’s another one of those Memebox items. It’s a tiny hand cream with a powdery floral scent. Absorbs quickly.
- Repurchase? No.
Kiss My Face Peaceful Patchouli Moisturizer – This was a repurchase because sometimes I just really want a patchouli lotion. But, I bought it and remembered why I don’t buy it more frequently than I do. It smells great but the formula just sits on top of my skin. It’s like white and doesn’t absorb. And my skin is dry, this isn’t usually a problem for me. I don’t understand.
- Repurchase? No. But, I like the Peaceful Patchouli scent line.
Tree Hut Shea Sugar Scrub in Brazilian Nut – This is my HG, all time favorite body scrub. ALL TIME FAVORITE. It’s a sugar in a nourishing oil base that leaves my skin feeling amazing. It comes in a few scents but I tend to like the sweet, nutty ones like this one.
- Repurchase? Hellz yeah.
Aveeno Skin Relief Body Wash Fragrance-Free – My skin has been itchy and gross so I decided to stop using all scented body products. This didn’t really help me nor did it hurt me. I did find the ingredient list of this product weird because it has some potentially irritating ingredients added.
- Repurchase? No, but they had a BOGO so I have another bottle of this…
Monsillage Bar Soap in Fenouil – This soap smells like Indian candied fennel and I like that.
- Repurchase? Here’s the deal, I would. David hates this aroma and bitches about it all of the time. So, being that we live together and share the same shower…probably not.
The Seaweed Bath Co. Body Lotion in Lavender (sample, not pictured) – It’s a lavender-scented lotion that absorbs quickly. I liked it but I’m trying to use more unscented lotions (which this brand does have).
- Purchase? Not in this scent, maybe the unscented.
Summary: Dry skin sucks and I should probably stop using bar soaps but I can’t.
- Repurchase? I may. My hair does love oils.
Valmont Hair Repairing Oil (sample x 4 – not pictured) – New Jersey water is drying my hair out or something. My hair is thirsty! (And so is my skin). This is a nourishing oil with a really pretty rose fragrance. It’s a pre-wash oil. I actually applied it and left it on overnight. I washed it out the next morning and my hair was left really soft and moisturized; yet, I had lots of volume. My hair was soft and bouncy.
- Purchase? Probably not because it’s hella expensive. It does work for me. I mean it moisturizes without weighing my hair down, that’s great.
Phyto Phytocitrus Color Protect Radiance Shampoo (sample, not pictured) – I forgot how much I like Phyto hair products. This smells like grapefruit and doesn’t really lather. The sample only had enough for one use, so I can’t really say much about it. But, I remember that I used to like a lot of the Phyto products.
- Purchase? No. I think it’s probably better for finer hair. And apparently the full-size aluminum packaging sucks.
Fekkai Technician Color Care Masque (travel) – So, I had to travel back to Seattle so I used travel sizes. I really like this rose-scented conditioner. I can tell that this would be better for me to use every time that I wash. It’s not too heavy.
- Repurchase? I may purchase the full-size. I really love the fragrance. You know how I love the roses…
Summary – It was all about the oils this month. And I want more!
MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation in NC25 – It’s MAC’s classic foundation powder.
- Repurchase? It’s something that I repurchase on and off throughout the years. I think when I first started buying it, it was $15! I like it but I’ll be the first to admit that it doesn’t look as good on my skin as it used to. My skin is drier now 🙁
Milani Shadow Eyez 12 Hour Eyeshadow Pencil in Sand Dunes – I’ve been all about shimmery lids lately. I used this shimmery champagne as a base for like everything. It has great color payoff and is long-wearing. The downside is that it sets fast and I like a “smudgy” look so I have to work faster. I’d say it’s a great dupe/replacement of Urban Decay 24/7 Shadow Glide-On Pencil in Sin.
- Repurchase? No but not because it’s bad. I have a lot of stuff like this. I think this is a good cheapie and a good Urban Decay dupe.
Anastasia Beverly Hills Clear Brow Gel – This is a really great clear brow gel because it has hold and doesn’t flake. However, I think it’s expensive for what it is. I think I can find something like it for cheaper. It does leave a sort of “wet” look which I like because I’ve been going for the whole “out of control Brooke Shields circa 1986 brows” look.
- Repurchase? Maybe. But, I’m going to try some of the new drugstore ones that have launched since the last time I have bought a clear brow gel.
Summary: Look at me using up these staples.
Total: 34. 20 full-size. 4 travel/deluxe. 10 samples
What about you? Which products did you use up in April? Did you purchase anything in April? Did you throw out anything?
*This post contains a few affiliate links. There are a few links that go to Amazon. I don’t think I’ve bought from those sellers. I included the links to give an idea of the product and because I thought their prices are fair considering that the products are imports, etc.