Here’s my guide for all those that fancy the vampy! Every year I put together a holiday gift guide for the freaks, goths, post-punk dames, vintage vamps and alt-chics – all my favorite types of people. This is one of my favorite gift guides to put together as I never outgrew that “phase”; I just adapted better skills on how to conceal it so I can get a paycheck. This is the guide where I want it all and one of my favorite guides to compile:
1. Il Profvmo Black Dianthus Perfume – I was really surprised by this perfume when I reviewed it earlier this year. It smells like a witch’s brew. I mean it smells like herbs and belladonna. That’s pretty badass. Retails for $110 at Osswald.
2. Aquarian Moon Lunar Body Oil Set – LOOK AT THIS! One of the body oils is black and I can’t handle how amazing this is. Retails for $60 at Aquarian Moon.
3. Crystal Oil-Roller Replacements – OMG, now that I know these are a thing, I need all of these. How cool are these to make your essential oils and indie fragrance oils more witchy?! Retails for about $33 on Amazon.
4. Cosmos Gift Set – Let’s never age, like vampires. This set contains everything from the natural skincare line, Cosmos. There’s a face wash, face oil, toner and a salve all in a moon bag. Retails for $108 at Cosmos.
5. Three Sisters Apothecary Black Licorice Gift Set – This set comes with a handmade soap and body butter in black licorice. Don’t worry. There are plenty of other scents to choose from if you aren’t keen on smelling like one of the best candies ever, just say’n. Retails for $18 at Three Sisters Apothecary.
6. Buly 1803 Opiat Dentaire Toothpaste – Bergdorf started carrying this French apothecary brand this year. It’s quite the show and the sales folks will calligraphy your labels. It is absolutely ridiculous; yet, I live for it. As far as gifts, they’re all goth. There’s a hinoki wood scented shaving cream with some sort of devil on the packaging. There’s a hand cream with some sort of Victorian hamsa looking illustration on the packaging. And then there are bougie toothpastes that suggest opium dens and snakes and I don’t get it; yet I LIVE FOR IT. Toothpastes retail for $27 at Bergdorf Goodman and come in a variety of flavors (like clove or coriander).
7. Byredo Bibliothèque Room Spray – This is the room spray of the brand’s popular candle turned personal fragrance. It’s fruits, saffron, leather and vanilla. Retails for $120 at Nordstrom.
8. Werther & Gray Seance Candle – It’s a purple candle that smells like amber, perfect for your seances. Retails for $19 at Werther & Gray.
9. Too Cool for School Blackoiloziuza Makeup Removing Cleansing Oil – Melt your Siouxsie Sioux makeup off with this totally goth Korean cleansing oil. Retails for $28 at Nordstrom.
10. By Kilian Black Phantom Memento Mori Set – This is a coffee gourmand in some seriously OTT packaging…a box with a glossy black skull. Retails for $195 at Nordstrom.
11. Maria Evora Sea Salt & Carob Soap – It’s a black cameo bar soap. So Romantic Goth. Retails for $8 at Sue Fisher King.
12. Givenchy Noir Couture Set – This set contains a really good mascara and a mini size of a vampy”color changing” lipstick. This really great for closet goths. Retails for $33 at Sephora.
13. Kat Von D Saint & Sinner Eyeshadow Palette – This palette is HUGE which irritates me when it comes to storage. However, the packaging is super cool and the colors are great. I mean, it’s inspired by gothic cathedrals. That’s like, you know, actually goth. Retails for $62 at Sephora.
Want more ideas? Here’s my guide from 2016.
Disclaimer, because, you know, the Internet: I never said I was a goth expert because it’s a diverse subculture. This is my “dark beauty” gift guide that highlights a darker aesthetic regardless of given or chosen labels. I mention this because every year someone comes out of the depths of the Internet to school me on what’s “goth or not”. And I’m like, “Yo, I’ve been called a goth devil worshiper¹ since like, before you were even born, kid”. But, whatever. This is my guide for those of us that just lean towards a darker aesthetic and find beauty in the darkness.
¹One of the many joys of growing up in the Bible Belt…
*Amazon, Nordstrom, Sephora contain affiliate links. Thanks!