Here’s my guide for all those that fancy the vampy! Every year I put together a holiday gift guide for the freaks, goths, post-punk dames, vintage vamps and alt-chics – all my favorite types of people. This is one of my favorite gift guides to put together as I never outgrew that “phase”; I just adapted better skills on how to conceal it “in the real world”. This is my guide where I want every single thing I have listed.
1. For Strange Women Solid Perfume Locket in Black Onyx – I’ve been doing this gift guide for years and realized that I’ve never included For Strange Women! I have no excuse for this. I love this refillable perfume locket in a gorgeous black onyx (other natural stones are also available). You can choose it’s scent. For this time of the year, I recommend Fireside Story, a smoky incense over vanilla. Retails for $84 at For Strange Women.
2. Bruno Fazzolari Room 237 EDP – This is an indie perfume inspired by Kubrick’s version of “The Shining”. And I think we can all agree that is awesome, right? Room 237 weird but wearable herbal floral with hints of vinyl shower curtain. Retails for $96 at Bruno Fazzolari.
3. Serge Lutens Beauté Water Lip Color in Black Bordeaux – You can totally go office goth in this luxurious lip stain. It’s like a “bruise” but makes a great base for deepening and adding dimension to reds. Serge Lutens makes some of my favorite “closet goth” cosmetics. Retails for $65 at Barneys.
4. Yoshimomo Ghost Oil – Here’s a 100% pure, plant-based squalane oil that’s delightfully versatile and most definitely has a cool name. It can be worn alone or added to other skincare products. And goths are all about a flawless complexion; it’s all a part of the aesthetic. Retails for $38 at Yoshimomo.
5. Byredo Apocalyptic Candle – So much goth and post-punk fiction is obsessed with the apocalypse. And I’m obsessed with this candle. It’s smoky and slightly mineral. I love the sleek, minimalist vessel. Just talking about it, makes me want to go burn mine right now. Retails for $80 at Luckyscent.
6. Rituel de Fille Night Visions Collection – This collection was my favorite makeup collection of the year. Night Visions has an ethereal, candle-lit champagne cream eyeshadow and a dark purple lipstick that smells like lavender. It’s perfect for grown up goths, the entire brand is really. Retails for $50 at Rituel de Fille. My review here.
7. Blackbird Blood Countess Incense Pyres – This is an incense inspired by classic dragon’s blood incense and well, a famous serial killer born before their was Botox. The scent is spicy and resinous, really perfect for this time of year and perfect for any goth (I can’t think of being a teenager without thinking about nag champa and dragon’s blood). Bonus, no virgins were harmed in the making of this incense. Retails for $28 at Blackbird.
8. House of Orpheus Perfume Sample Set – House of Orpheus is an alchemy inspired line based the forests of the Pacific Northwest. Their perfumes lean dark, smoky and woodsy. And with this set, one can experience all of their delightful darkness. Retails for $35 at House of Orpheus.
9. Formulary 55 Shea Butter Hand & Body Cream in La Nuit – Here’s a creamy body butter with a “black amber” scent. Oh, and skull packaging. It’s perfect for any goth on your list. Retails for $18 at Formulary 55.
10. MAC Look in a Box Classic Black Kit – From baby bats to “proper goths”, anybody can appreciate black eyeliner and mascara. It’s the sort of thing that will literally get used daily. And this set is a rather good value for three full-size products for $37 at Nordstrom.
11. Sick Soaps Ouija Board Soap – LOOK AT THIS! It’s sick! It’s a ouija board bar of soap scented with dragon’s blood because dragon’s blood is goth AF (in case you already didn’t know). Retails for about $6 on etsy. This shop has more creepy designs that would make the perfect goth hostess gifts.
12. Rebel’s Refinery Lip Balm– Is there anything gother than having a lip balm in a black skull with an embossed Hamlet quote on the bottom? Um, no. Available in three flavors (unflavored, passion fruit, mint). Retails for $8 at Ricky’s.
13. Armour Beauty Lip Gloss in Siouxsie – All you really need to know about this lip gloss is in the name. It’s perfect for this guide. And the color isn’t too shabby. It’s a glossy cherry red that sure does benefit from a shit ton of eyeliner and teased hair. Retails for $24 at Beauty.com.
I never said I was a goth expert because it’s a diverse subculture. This is my “dark beauty” gift guide that highlights a darker aesthetic regardless of given or chosen labels. I mention this because every year someone comes out of the depths of the Internet to school me on what’s “goth or not”. And I’m like, “Yo, I’ve been called a goth devil worshiper¹ since like, before you were even born, kid”. But, whatever. This is my guide for those of us that just lean towards a darker aesthetic and find beauty in the darkness.
Need more ideas? Here’s my 2014 Holiday Gift Guide for Your Favorite Goth. Many of these are still available.
¹One of the many joys of growing up in the Bible Belt…
*Beauty.com and Nordstrom are affiliate links. I’m not financially compensated for my gift guides but I wouldn’t mind having a cushy gig like that.