Another month, more Empties.
In August, I actually expected to empty a lot of skincare but it looks like I have a few more weeks left in many of my bottles. My prediction is that in September I’m going to run out of most of my skincare.
It’s September. My summer no-buy is over. But, I have to confess that I did slip up in August. Hey, I’m human. I bought a NARS concealer, but I really needed that. I bought Amore Pacific Color Control Cushion Compact. I mean, I could technically need that. I don’t have any other cushion compacts 🙂 I also bought L’Oreal Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm (fancy name for a deep conditioner). Stuff that I totally didn’t need but bought anyway – NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Istanbul, NYX Eyshadow Palette in Madelines & Macaroons and three Memeboxes (that I haven’t received yet). Oh,well.
Here’s the products that I emptied in August:
Danahan Ecopure Essentials Tomato Juice Sheet Mask – This is a serum sheet mask with a faint “fresh” scent with collagen and tomato extract. It’s really thin and really serum-y so it ripped but the rip was no biggie.
- Repurchase? Yes. These are so cheap, less than $1 at a local Korean market.
Danahan Ecopure Essentials Watermelon Juice Sheet Mask – Like the Tomato one, this is a thin sheet mask with tons of serum. It ripped too. It’s a hyalaraunic mask so it left my skin feeling really smooth and moisturized. It’s almost scentless.
- Repurchase? Yes. Left my skin really smooth and it’s super cheap.
Innisfree It’s Real Mugwort Sheet Mask – This is a serum mask with a faint, fresh “bitter melon” like aroma.
- Repurchase? I have decided that I do like this thicker masks better than the thinner ones. But, I didn’t really notice any “pros” from the mugwort mask.
Fil-Lup Charcoal Essence Mask (not pictured)- This is one of those H-Mart purchases and I have no idea what is in it…charcoal. There’s no info on it online in English. It has a light scent and the serum is super thick with this one…and sort of sticky. But, OMG, it left my skin so crazy smooth and amazing looking. Like the day after, I kept getting “complexion compliments”.
- Repurchase? Yes. And I’m picking up the other essences like “Potato”. I’m picking up all the essences.
Clarins Cleansing Milk with Alpine Herbs – Back in the day (about a decade ago), this was my favorite cleanser ever. Thought I’d try it again. Hate it. I think there are much better lotion and oil cleansers on the market these days for my skin. Or maybe I now know more about lotion/cream cleansers.
- Repurchase? Nope. I only kept using it out of guilt of how much it costs.
Clarins Intense Bronze Self Tanning Tint (deluxe sample) – I absolutely love Liquid Bronze Self Tanning and this was a sample that came with a purchase. It’s like stain. It’s a liquid that you use to stain your face. I don’t like it as well. The color is darker and still “natural” looking but it’s messy. I’d rather build up over a few days of use with the Liquid Bronze instead of streaks and brown nails.
- Purchase? No.
Conclusion – I’m still loving Korean sheet masks.
Demeter Fuzzy Navel PMU Spray (1 oz)– It’s peach schnapps and orange juice. OK, to make a long story short…I wore this during a week long Florida vacation with my boyfriend (who is now my husband of 10 years). It’s trashy and fruity but it reminds me of good times, so I like it.
- Repurchase? Probably. For reasons.
- Purchase? No. I like the scent but there are other fresh candle scents that I want to try.
L’Artisan Parfumeur Mûre Sauvage Candle – August is blackberry season and I guess I even wanted my house to smell like musky blackberries.
- Repurchase? Depends. I got this one on sale. If I could get another deal like that, I would.
- Repurchase? Yes. It’s one of my favorites from NEST.
L’Artisan Parfumeur Batucada EDT (30 ml decant) – I only like this perfume because I used it in on a vacation in Puerto Rico and now I associate it with that vacation. It’s a salty citrus and ozone. Full review.
- Repurchase? I don’t see myself but I guess if I ever get nostalgic, I will.
- Purchase? I don’t know. I should decide. I’ve went through many samples of this. It’s a great vetiver.
ABL Brands Crush’d EDP (sample – not pictured) – This is a sweet orange creamsicle with tonka.
- Purchase? No. But, that’s only because I already have Smell Bent Sunshine and I think it has this base covered.
Conclusion – I still have a lot of candles that only have a few hours of burn time left.
BODY & BATH
- Repurchase? Probably not. I like the formula and the scent but I want to try something else. I really want to try the deodorant and other products in this fragrance.
MSC Natural Skincare Grapefruit & Spearmint Exfoliating Scrub – This is a rich shea butter based sugar scrub with a citrus scent. My skin loves it. Full review.
- Purchase? Yes. But, I want to try it in a different scent like Vanilla.
Naiad Soap Arts Sugar Whipped Soap in Vanilla Fig (mini size) – I absolutely love this formula and the scent of Vanilla Cardamom is amazing. Vanilla Fig is a really sweet fruity fig over a really sweet amber. It’s OK but I like my figs bitter and green.
- Repurchase? No. Not in this scent but I love the formula. I’m happy that I bought a mini instead of a full-size.
- Repurchase? Yes, if I ever see it again. I’ll pick it up.
Thalia Olive Oil Soap (not pictured) – This is a really amazing castile soap with a nice,sweet daphne aroma. I love Turkey for lots of reasons but one of them is their bathing culture. I mean, this is a culture that knows how to make great soaps.
- Repurchase? Yes. I’m mad at myself for not picking up like 5 bars of this.
Korean Charcoal Peeling Soap – I’ve used many bars of this stuff in my day. It’s an herbal soap that will leave your skin feeling so smooth because of AHA and camellia oil. It has a light evergreen-lime scent.
- Repurchase? Yes. Whenever I go to H Mart, I buy a bar. Leaves my skin feeling so “buffed”.
TonyMoly Panda’s Dream White Hand Cream (sample) – This is a rich but quickly absorbing hand cream with a faint fresh grape-like scent. The packaging is flip’n adorable.
- Purchase? Yep, it’s on my list.
Elizabeth Arden Green Tea Energizing Bath & Shower Gel – I love the scent of the Arden’s Green Tea in the summer and this shower gel has been enjoyable. But, I’m sort of over associating this soap’s fragrance with hot, sweaty days.
- Repurchase? No. I’m sort of over it but I still like the cologne.
Conclusion – I used up a ton of soap this month because it was humid and gross outside. I’ve also bought a soap saver after seeing how much freak’n soap I use up in a month.
Rusk Thick Body & Texturizer Amplifier – The fact that I bought this is crazy since I have really thick hair. But, I guess that is why I bought it. I was curious. Would this work on thick hair? It does add volume but my hair doesn’t really need that. But it does look good when I’m going for really big hair.
- Repurchase? No.
Ion Color Defense Intense Moisture Conditioner – I bought this because I had read online how great it was for “extreme” colors of dyed hair (veggie dyes). And I guess it did preserve my color but it didn’t add any moisture and that is why I use conditioner. It smells like almonds and I sure like that.
- Repurchase? No. Not a good formula for me but I’d recommend it for color-treated oily or fine hair. There wasn’t enough moisture for my hair. But, I love the smell.
Herbal Essences Color Me Happy Shampoo – I bought this because I needed a shampoo and this had a rose on the bottle. It really did nothing for me and makes me question why the heck I keep using stuff that I don’t like. Doesn’t even smell like roses either.
- Repurchase? No.
gõt2Be Styltini 24 Hour Anti-Humidity Smoothing Spray – OK, don’t judge me. So, I took hair advice from my younger curly-hair sisters that think that Kardashians are “klassy”. They said this stuff was great (as well as a few other products form the line). This spray has a dumb name, smells like if Arbor Mist and a wine cooler had a baby, and the packaging is so tacky. BUT it actually worked for me. It really is an all-day anti-humidity spray for my course hair.
- Repurchase? I’m pretty sure this isn’t made anymore, but if it were, I would. (I have repurchased it in the past). I mean, I tolerated the fruity smell and awful packaging because it actually works. It survived both Southern and Seattle humidity.
Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil Shampoo (sample – not pictured) – Wow. I really love this. Of course, I only used a sample so maybe “switching” shampoos led to some of the success of this product on my hair. I think it was more of a “clarifying shampoo” which I rarely use. It did make my hair really soft. Plus, I love the water lotus aroma.
- Purchase? I really want to but I know there has to be a Japanese company out there offering a cheaper variety of this product. Right? Doesn’t L’Oreal make one like this? I don’t think I can pay $55 for shampoo.
Conclusion – I have a lot of hair products that I don’t care for yet I still use them…
Covergirl & Olay Ageless Corrector – Like mascaras, concealers are one of those items where I seem to like the products that everyone else hates. I actually like this yellow-based “corrector”, color is perfect for me and I never followed up with another concealer. Didn’t crease, creamy texture.
- Repurchase? It’s discontinued and it’s time to move on. I ended up buying NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer because I keep hearing it’s awesome.
Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion in Original – This is great stuff. I use it every day.
- Repurchase? I actually repurchased the Anti-Aging version. I hope it’s just as good or even better.
Conclusion – I rarely ever empty lippies.
Empties total for August: 28 total. 20 full-size, 4 deluxe/travel size, 4 samples.
After reporting my empties for the past few months, I’ve noticed a few themes: I use too much soap. I have a lot of candles. I use a ton of lotion but I’m never emptying lotions. Same with lip products. And apparently I can’t go more than 2 months without buying cosmetics.
What about you? Which products did you use up in August? Did you purchase anything in August? Did you throw out anything? I actually should be throwing some things out, maybe this will be one of my goals for September.
*Sephora, drugstore.com, Nordstrom and imomoko are affiliate links. I liked to a few Amazon sellers but I did not purchase my items through them. I only did that to show you packaging and more info on the products (in case you were interested).