Well, it’s that time of year again. (For the rest of the country it has been that time of the year again). It’s the time of the year when all of the cosmetic companies offer a new summer fragrance that is supposed to coat our tan beach bodies or at least trick us into thinking we are having a vacation. It’s a time when many companies can water down a best-selling juice hoping that the fragrance fans will purchase it. Netherless, it’s a time that I love. These are my ten recommendations for this year so far (and ok not all of them are special edition):
1. Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess : This was my first purchase of the season and it sold out fast. I bought it the day it hit the streets and by the time I decided I wanted the body lotion, I couldn’t find it anywhere. Not even online. The company describes it as “A sensuous, sun-drenched blend of Bergamot and Mandarin, cooled with Tahitian Gardenia Petals and Coconut, warmed with Amber, Sandalwood and Vetiver.” Of course, there is a ton of other notes listed, but in the long run it just smells “beachy”. It seriously smells like salt water and sand drying on a warm monoi oil body. I bought the body oil and it is to die for. This line is very similar to last year’s Tom Ford inspired, Azuree Soleil.
2. Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Figue-Iris: I’ve already posted a review of this fragrance. I bought it the day it came out, unsniffed, which is typically a stupid thing to do. It wasn’t a stupid thing to do this time. I love this floraly fig fragrance. Some of the notes listed on Sephora’s site include fig, vanilla, iris, vetiver, bergamot and pink grapefruit. It is still available and is $50 for 2.5 ounces.
3. Prescriptives Calyx Shimmering Fragrance Mist: OK, so this is available all year long but it is so refreshing for the summer. The website describes this classic citrus floral as ” The top note is a profusion of grapefruit and mandarin with a tropical blend of passion fruit, mango, papaya and guava. The refreshing middle note is a bouquet of freesia, muguet, neroli, rose, lily, jasmin and marigold. The deep sensual base note is a luscious weaving of oakmoss, orris, sandalwood and vetiver.” Plus, the shimmer is lots of fun. It is $45 for 1.7 ounces.
4. Burberry Summer: This is a limited edition, meaning that you can only purchase it during the summer, but so far it keeps coming back evreytime it heats up. I really like the original and I like this summer take on the original. It is a citrusy-floral with enough wood to keep it from getting too cool. It contains citrus, green apple, water lily, freesia, rose, woods, white musk and moss. It costs $47 for 1.7 ounces.
5. Elizabeth Arden Mediterranean Breeze: I remember when the original came out and what a hit it was for Elizabeth Arden. The new one has a beautiful bottle that is very Georgia O’Keiffe. The website describes it as “Sparkling. Warm. Captivating. Sweet, sparkling fruits and delicate florals unique to the Mediterranean combine with sensual woods and addictive musks to create a scent reminiscent of a warm breeze on a summer day.” Personally, I haven’t had this experience to compare this fragrance to, I just know it smells nice. It is $47.50 for 1.7 ounces.
6. Kenzo FlowerbyKenzo Summer: I love this woody summer fragrance. Many summer fragrances want to be aquatic and citrusy. This one does a great job being very true to itself. It contains ylang-ylang, parma violet, ginger, mandarin, litchi sorbet, incense, and musk. It retails for $52 for 1.7 ounces.
7. Avon Tahitian Holiday: This one was just launched and I really like it for the price. It is a great alternative to Bronze Goddess for the money. It is a tropical floral with Tahitian tiare flower, musk and coconut. Currently it is $9.99 for 1.7 ounces but it will be $15. There is a hair refresher, shimmery body lotion and a body oil available too.
8. L’Occitane Green Tea with Mint: This unisex, herbaceous fragrance is available all year but is so refreshing when it is humid. It contains bitter orange, spearmint, cedar, and thyme. It retails for $44 for 3.4 ounces.
9. Demeter Fuzzy Naval: Demeter has tons of fragrances that are great for summer. It just depends on what summer means for you. Personally, I love Fuzzy Naval. It is my summer fruity guilty pleasure (in more than one way). It is orange and peach and smells just like the real thing. The humongous minis cost $5 for .5 ounces. The .5 spray is $12.50 and the full-size 1 ounce spray is $20.
10. Yves Rocher Pur Desir de Fleur d’Oranger, Orange Blossom: This is a nice refreshing citrus that reminds me of those cool Arab drinks. It smells like its namesake. It is usually $19.50 for 2.0 ounces but is on sale all the time. Currently it is $11. It also has a deodorant stick, lotion and shower gel available with this fragrance.
There are many more. But, these are my favs. It’s finally getting warm enough here to think about these things. Yesterday, we were bombarded by 85 degree weather in the house and my lipsticks started to melt and we thought something was wrong with the central air, then we found out there is no central air here. Nobody has it. It was 90 degrees and nobody has air. So we had to go out and buy lots of fans. Everyone was buying lots of fans. It was so weird. This is the kind of bikini you have to wear in cold Pacific Northwest ocean water.