More 1940′s Fashion: Get the Makeup Look of Bette Davis
Happy fall! I love this 1940′s pic of the magnificent Bette Davis. I can’t think of a better look to welcome fall! So, here’s my modern day interpretation of this lovely, classic look:
FACE: Apply a foundation such as L’Oreal Visible Lift Foundation in your shade. Apply concealer where needed. I’m using Covergirl & Olay Simply Ageless Concealer. Apply a dusting of loose powder to set foundation and to provide a “vintage” finish. I’m using Coty AirSpun Loose Powder in Beige. Bette’s cheeks are sheer. I used a small amount, “one swipe”, of Benefit Dandelion, applied with the brush that the product comes with.
EYES: Brows are penciled in. Fill in brows with a pencil such as Clinique Superfine Liner for Brows. The super thin tip makes great 30′s brows. (I can’t get that without tons of plucking). Even out the lid by applying loose face powder. In the crease with a large blending eyeshadow brush, I applied NYX Eyeshadow in Taupe (darker skin tones will need to use a color like Dark Brown). I did this because I don’t have Bette Davis eyes and I have to exaggerate that lid. Apply a dark brown eyeliner to the top lash line, applying closely. I used Milani Eye Liner Pencil in Dark Brown. Curl lashes. Apply a few coats of mascara to top lashes only. I used Maybelline Pro XXL Pro Extensions Mascara in Very Black.
LIPS: OK, so I had to mix a color to get the Bette Davis lip look which is identical to hers when a flash is on. I’m wearing my favorite orange lipstick ever, MAC Lipstick in Morange, an electric orange. Blotted. Over that I’ve layered Wet n’ Wild Shine Lip Lacquer in Lustful, a sheer medium plum. I rubbed my lips together and got this shade.
Choosing a fragrance is difficult for this look. It’s “autumn” but still very vibrant with coral lipstick and kelly green clothes. I’m feeling something warm but crisp with amber and orange, like D & G Classic (femme) EDP.
I’ve felt sick all week. Feeling better now. I’m pretty darn sure I have an ear infection and some sinus thing going on. I got lots of fragrance samples in the mail this week but my sniffer felt “broken” all week! I’m hoping for a fun weekend with mushroom hunting, fall fashions shopping, and maybe a haircut. What about you?
*Post contains a few affiliate links. Thanks!
- The Lipstick League – Week of 1/7/2012
- The Lipstick League – Week of 4.16.12
- 1940′s Fashion: Get the Makeup Look of Greer Garson (4)
- The Lipstick League – Week of 11.7.11
- 1940′s Fashion – Get the Makeup Look of Barbara Britton (9)
- 1940′s Fashion – Get the Makeup Look of Maria Montez (4)
- 1940′s Fashion: Get the Makeup Look of Betty Hutton (4)
- 1940′s Fashion – Get the Makeup Look of Alice Faye (2)
- 1940′s Fashion – Get the Makeup Look of Linda Darnell (7)
- The Lipstick League – Week of 5.30.11 (3)
- M. Micallef Royal Vintage EDP Perfume Review (2)
- Thierry Mugler A*Men EDT Fragrance Video Review (4)
- The Lipstick League – Week of 5/13/2013 (4)
- Neil Morris Fragrances Rainflower EDP Perfume Review
- 1960′s Fashion – Get the Makeup Look of Wanda Jackson (4)
- Serge Lutens Un Lys EDP Perfume Review (2)
- EauMG at Taste TV Artisan Fragrance Salon – Seattle 2013 – A Re-Cap (12)
- Ramon Monegal Lovely Day EDP Perfume Review (8)
- Caron Yuzu Man EDT Fragrance Review (2)
- Aftelier Secret Garden Natural Perfume Review (4)