Montale Blue Amber EDP Perfume Review
Blue Week : 4. 10 – 4. 17
I’ve always thought of Montale Blue Amber as a cyborg amber. It is warm and personable like most ambers, but Blue Amber is different. Blue Amber is also cool, almost robotic in its unusual opening. It’s both biological and artificial, like a sci-fi cyborg. And I like it because of this.
Blue Amber does open up with that “classic” oriental bergamot and citrus that I sniff in classic orientals. This bergamot fades quickly. Something in this is stranger than a classic oriental, just weirdness on all this amber. I’m sure this is the coriander. It’s green, spicy, and fresh (strangely chemical) but mixed with this strong “liquid” amber. This strange goes away or I get used to the idea of a fresh, green in my amber perfume that vaguely reminds me of toxic chemicals that I have used to strip adhesive off of flat surfaces. I also pick up something that reminds me of tanned leather mixed with a slightly sweaty amber. All of this together is very nice but doesn’t seem very approachable to me. This is the “machine” in Blue Amber. It’s trying very hard and there is a strange “accord” that reminds me of something familiar. A chemical used during our DIY home restoration. With time, I’m left with tons and tons of amber, but it isn’t round and smooth. It’s almost like a metallic amber. Must be the addition of vetiver? What I’m trying to say is that Blue Amber isn’t powdery. It’s smooth and glimmers like polished metal. It’s very beautiful and a must try for those that don’t want their amber going all powdery on them. Blue Amber is ambery, liquid amber, like amber mercury. But, then it gets very sweet with a strong dose of high quality raw vanilla mixed with this liquid amber. I’m left with this cozy, comfortable, and creamy concoction. This is the human aspect to Blue Amber. This cyborg has a warm fuzzy feeling, put away the weapons, and decided to make cupcakes for the whole gang.
There are so many wonderful amber perfumes available, so what makes Blue Amber special? Well, like all Montales, Blue Amber is brash and audacious. There’s major sillage to this one and it is incredibly long lasting. This is one of those perfumes that sticks with you until you bathe. Who knows how long it would actually last on the skin! The other interesting thing about Blue Amber is that one could argue that this is the most natural amber fragrance they have ever sniffed or that it is the most synthetic amber that they have ever sniffed. How can something be interpreted so differently? Because it is cyborg amber In all honesty, the first few times I wore Blue Amber, I didn’t like it because I thought it was boring. I could only focus on the strange notes and I found the linear amber theme dull. The more I wear it, the more I like it. But, I have to be in the mood for a linear amber or an amber-vanilla. And I’m usually in the mood for those in the winter.
Notes listed include Italian bergamot, bourbon geranium, coriander, patchouli, vetiver, amber, and vanilla.
Give Blue Amber a try if you want a really loud and long-wearing amber-vanilla perfume or if you want an amber that isn’t powdery. Blue Amber is easily unisex.
Blue Amber retails for $125 for the 1.7 oz and $175 for the 3.4 oz. Montale perfumes are available at Lucky Scent.
Want more reviews? Try…
- Providence Perfume Co. Amber Cream Body Oil Review (3)
- Ramon Monegal Cuirelle EDP Perfume Review (9)
- Kerosene Copper Skies EDP Perfume Review
- Penhaligon’s Malabah EDP Perfume Review (4)
- Tauer Pentachord Auburn EDP Perfume Review (10)
- By Kilian Amber Oud EDP Perfume Review (8)
- Dior La Collection Privée Mitzah EDP Perfume Review (7)
- Vince Camuto for Women EDP Perfume Review (5)
- The Scent of Departure AUH Abu Dhabi EDT Perfume Review
- Ramon Monegal Mon Patchouly EDP Perfume Video Review (13)
- Thierry Mugler A*Men EDT Fragrance Video Review (2)
- The Lipstick League – Week of 5/13/2013 (4)
- Neil Morris Fragrances Rainflower EDP Perfume Review
- 1960′s Fashion – Get the Makeup Look of Wanda Jackson (4)
- Serge Lutens Un Lys EDP Perfume Review (2)
- EauMG at Taste TV Artisan Fragrance Salon – Seattle 2013 – A Re-Cap (12)
- Ramon Monegal Lovely Day EDP Perfume Review (8)
- Caron Yuzu Man EDT Fragrance Review (2)
- Aftelier Secret Garden Natural Perfume Review (4)
- The Lipstick League – Week of 5/6/2013