M.Micallef Ylang in Gold EDP Perfume Review
My title to this review is somewhat misleading. M.Micallef Ylang in Gold is a perfume infused with a 24k gold powder that leaves a sheer, subtle gold shimmer. Realizing that not everyone wants to be that decadent, M.Micallef launched Ylang which is exactly the same as Ylang in Gold but without the gold shimmer. Both bottles, Ylang and Ylang in Gold, are decked out in as many rhinestones you’d find on one of Esther Williams’ “aquamusical” swimsuits.
Ylang in Gold is a tropical floral. It opens with a sharp, minty geranium over heady, banana-ish ylang-ylang. I once made a banana custard with a few drops of Aftelier Ylang-Ylang Chef Essence. That custard tastes like Ylang in Gold smells. With time I get florals on a beach vacation. The rose is salty, the lily is drinking a piña colada. Ylang in Gold is a creamy, custardy vanilla with sun-kissed florals. The sandalwood comes out more making this fragrance even creamier with a boozy vanilla and coconut pulp. The dry-down is a warm, sweet musk.
Ylang in Gold is a glamorous resort-style floral. These creamy, beachy scents aren’t for everyone but I have a soft spot for them. My husband, I could care less about his perfume opinions, didn’t care for this one. He said I smelled like “alcoholic housewife”…I told you the vanilla in this is very boozy
Notes listed include tangerine, geranium, artemisia, ylang-ylang, rose, sandalwood, lily-of-the-valley, magnolia, coconut, vanilla and musk. Launch date 2012.
Give Ylang in Gold a try if you like creamy florals or tropical florals. Try it if you like perfumes like Susanne Lang Vanilla Coconut, Etat Libre d’Orange Bijou Romantique, Serge Lutens Datura Noir and/or La Maison de la Vanille Fleurie de Tahiti. I view Ylang in Gold as a pretty, “feminine” fragrance. But, anyone that is interested in sweet and creamy should try it.
Projection and longevity are above average.
The 3.4 oz bottle retails for $245 at Parfumerie Nasreen.
Victoria’s Final EauPINION – Boozy, tropical floral. Like I said in the review, you either like these or you don’t. I don’t spend enough time lounging on tropical beaches, so I rather like wearing Ylang in Gold. For me it’s a great “winter tropical fragrance”.
Want more reviews? Try…
Fragrantica – Member reviews
The Muse in Wooden Shoes – Oh, Mrs. Muse! How I miss boiled custard.!I spent the past 3 months talking about it!
* Disclaimer – Sample provided by M.Micallef. I am not financially compensated for this review or any others. My opinions are my own. Product pic from www.parisgallery.com. Esther Williams pic from www.fanpix.net
- The Lipstick League – Week of 4/1/2013
- The Lipstick League – Week of 12.26.11 (2)
- More of the 1940′s: Get The Look of a Wintery Esther Williams (1)
- Red Hot Lips: Get The Look of Esther Williams with Make Up For Ever
- 1960′s Fashion- Get the Makeup Look of Leslie Caron
- Jul et Mad Amour de Palazzo EDP Perfume Review
- Neela Vermeire Creations Bombay Bling EDP Perfume Review (2)
- M. Micallef Royal Vintage EDP Perfume Review (4)
- Thierry Mugler A*Men EDT Fragrance Video Review (4)
- The Lipstick League – Week of 5/13/2013 (4)
- Neil Morris Fragrances Rainflower EDP Perfume Review
- 1960′s Fashion – Get the Makeup Look of Wanda Jackson (4)
- Serge Lutens Un Lys EDP Perfume Review (2)
- EauMG at Taste TV Artisan Fragrance Salon – Seattle 2013 – A Re-Cap (12)