L’Artisan Parfumeur Batucada EDT Perfume Review
L’Artisan Parfumeur Batucada is a perfume lovechild between 2 perfumers separated by the Atlantic ocean, Karine Vichon of Grasse and Elisabeth Maier of São Paulo. It is a perfume that “celebrates Brazil”. I don’t know if it does that (it tries) but I do know that it is a fragrance that smells just like the way that the perfume copy on the website reads – sparkling Caïpirinha, floral sun cream, sea salt and sweaty skin.
Batucada opens with a garden mint and sweet lime zest. This is their take on Caïpirinha but I get mojito (since that is what I’m most familiar with). The opening is refreshing, effervescent with ozone. The lime gets more tart and less sweet with time. The scent gets more “salty skin” with coconut water. Coconut water has always been “sweaty” to me so Batucada seems a little funky…but in a much needed, good way. Florals are in the heart but they aren’t creamy or tropical. They are dewy and almost remind me of a watermelon. The base still holds on to that citrus and mixes it with salty woods, vetiver and warm skin. The dry-down is very warm and woody.
I didn’t expect to like Batucada at all. I usually dislike citrus scents and I usually hate aquatic perfumes. I really enjoy Batucada even though it seems like it is “sooo not me”. It’s fun and a perfect summer fragrance. If I lived in a warmer climate, I’d buy a full-size bottle, spray myself liberally with it and drink tiki cocktails. Oh, my dream life.
Notes listed include mint, davana, tiare, ylang ylang, amber, benzoin, aquatic notes, coconut, vanilla, sandalwood, salty skin accord, patchouli, vetiver and musk. PERFUMERS – Karine Vichon and Elisabeth Maier
Give Batucada a try if you like lime fragrances or “cocktail” scents. Or if you like any of the Hèrmes Le Jardin perfumes, Comme des Garçons Play Green, Etate Libre d’Orange Fils de Dieu, Guerlain Homme, Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue, Creed Virgin Island Water and/or Bath & Body Works Coconut Lime Verbena. Batucada is unisex and easy to wear. I highly recommend it for those in warmer climates that want something refreshing that will still linger around hours later.
Batucada is a “feel good”, laid-back fragrance. It isn’t overly complex or difficult. At the same time, it’s much more complicated and sophisticated than most “beach” mainstream or niche scents. I recommend that you wear it on skin. It does so much better on skin than some paper blotter. Don’t judge this fragrance until you’ve worn it.
I find projection to be above average and longevity above average for an EDT (and for L’Artisan Parfumeur).
Victoria’s Final EauPINION – Salty citrus, ozonic florals, warm woods – summer in a bottle. I really didn’t expect to like this one, but I do. Like I said, I’d buy a full-bottle if I lived in a place that wasn’t so cold.
Want more reviews? Try…
*Decant purchased by me. Product pic from Fragrantica. One of my all time favorite pics of Grace Kelly from www.fanpix.net. Post contains affiliate links.
- Not Soap Radio I’m Not Here, I’m Really…Island Hopping Solid Perfume Review
- Costamor Beachwood EDP Perfume Review
- Annick Goutal Songes EDP Perfume Review (7)
- Envoyage Nectars des Îles EDP Perfume Review (12)
- Lucy B Royal Green Fig & Vanilla Woods EDP Perfume Review (7)
- Comptoir Sud Pacifique Aqua Motu EDP Perfume Review (4)
- EauMG’s 2011 Beach Fragrance Guide (8)
- Bath & Body Works Coconut Lime Verbena Review (8)
- Botanicus Blue Bamboo Room Spray Review (1)
- Ligne St.Barth Vanille (Vanilla) Body Lotion Review (2)
- Neil Morris Fragrances Rainflower EDP Perfume Review
- 1960′s Fashion – Get the Makeup Look of Wanda Jackson (4)
- Serge Lutens Un Lys EDP Perfume Review
- EauMG at Taste TV Artisan Fragrance Salon – Seattle 2013 – A Re-Cap (10)
- Ramon Monegal Lovely Day EDP Perfume Review (8)
- Caron Yuzu Man EDT Fragrance Review (2)
- Aftelier Secret Garden Natural Perfume Review (4)
- The Lipstick League – Week of 5/6/2013
- Chanel Cristalle EDP Perfume Video Review (13)
- Becca & Mars Refresh Aromatherapy Blend Review (3)