House of Matriarch Carmine EDP Natural Perfume Review
Carmine is a broad: husky voice, ciggarette between the fingers, a glass of whiskey with red lipstick marks around the rim…this is Carmine.
In the opening of Carmine I get a boozy brandy mixed with the distinctive unique kewra (bitter, turpenious, piney). I use kewra water in cooking regulary and realized that I have never sniffed it in perfume until now. Carmine wears as a slightly smoky spice with a brandied davana. On warmer days, the champaca blossoms on my skin. On cooler days, it blooms but it takes longer. I get this heady white floral that sits on me like a vintage fur stole. It’s indolic and grand. The base of Carmine is very animalic reminding me of ambergris mixed with civet (hyraceum) and fermented tobacco leaves (I just made that up but that’s what I get).
Notes listed include hiba wood, kewra, tagetes, black pepper, michelia alba, champaca, davana, patchouli, vetiver, tonka, oakmoss, white copal, bruizinho, tobacco, chai masala, Africa stone, celestial amber, and African sandalwood. Launch date 2011. PERFUMER – Christi Meshell
Give Carmine a try if you like vintage-style florals or if you like perfumes like Aftelier Jasmine solid perfume, Givenchy Amarige, LUSH Lust, Caron Acaciosa, and/or Vero Profumo Onda EDP. I view Carmine as feminine but with the animalic notes I think more masculine types can pull it off.
Carmine has average projection and above average longevity. I’m surprised by how long it wears on the skin. It wears closely but for a long time. Carmine is an all-natural perfume but you do not need to be a fan of “naturals” to appreciate Carmine.
Carmine comes in a few sizes with prices ranging from $120-$390. The 1 oz EDP pictured above retails for $160 at House of Matriarch.
Victoria’s Final EauPINION – An animalic “cabaret” style white floral. It’s one to try if you like a little bit of funk in your florals. And I like some funk in my florals.
Want more reviews? Try…
Eiderdown Press – great review as always
*Sample provided by House of Matriarch. I am not finacially compensated for this review. My opinions are my own. Product pic from House of Matriarch. Monique Van Vooren pic from www.fanpix.net
- LUSH Flying Fox Shower Gel Review (8)
- L’Artisan Parfumeur Al Oudh EDP Perfume Review
- CB I Hate Perfume CBMusk Reinvention Perfume Review (4)
- Aftelier Sepia Parfum & EDP Perfume Review (4)
- Histoires de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade EDP Perfume Review (9)
- YOSH Sombre Negra EDP Perfume Review (2)
- Boadicea the Victorious Salubrious EDP Perfume Review (5)
- Ineke Field Notes From Paris EDP Perfume Review (7)
- Tom Ford Private Blend Tuscan Leather EDP Perfume Review (7)
- Bond No. 9 New York Oud EDP Perfume Review (9)
- 1960′s Fashion- Get the Makeup Look of Leslie Caron
- Jul et Mad Amour de Palazzo EDP Perfume Review
- Neela Vermeire Creations Bombay Bling EDP Perfume Review (2)
- M. Micallef Royal Vintage EDP Perfume Review (4)
- Thierry Mugler A*Men EDT Fragrance Video Review (4)
- The Lipstick League – Week of 5/13/2013 (4)
- Neil Morris Fragrances Rainflower EDP Perfume Review
- 1960′s Fashion – Get the Makeup Look of Wanda Jackson (4)
- Serge Lutens Un Lys EDP Perfume Review (2)
- EauMG at Taste TV Artisan Fragrance Salon – Seattle 2013 – A Re-Cap (12)