Halle Berry Closer EDP Perfume Review
Mainstream Monday: Sniffing a Popular Perfume
I’m fascinated by Halley Berry Closer. It’s not the fragrance. It’s the marketing. Many of us hardcore fragrance people talk about gender and fragrance marketing. It’s all about the merchandising and the bottle. Closer could have easily been thrown in another bottle, maybe with David Beckham’s name on it and it would only be worn by young dudes. I’m really interested in seeing if this one will be a big seller like the other Halle Berry perfumes or if it will be perceived as too masculine for many women (that are interested in Halle Berry perfumes) to wear. This really was a ballsy move for a mainstream fragrance. From what I’m seeing on-line, many women are calling this a “cologne” and not something that they’d wear. I’ve seen it compared from anything from D&G for Men to Cool Water for Men.
Closer opens as a mainstream masculine with aquatic, metallic notes with melons, fresh citrus and raspberries. I’m reminded of Azzaro Chrome! Hubs says it smells exactly like Ralph Lauren Polo Black. With time the lily blossoms, it’s aquatic and floral but not overly feminine since I still pick up on metallic watery notes and astringent cedar. This could still be marketed as a masculine perfume even with the floral lily notes. The dry down of Closer is soft and woody and reminds me exactly of something else….something mainstream and masculine.
Closer isn’t a gender-bender fragrance in its composition. It’s a modern day masculine that would usually be marketed to teenage boys now marketed to women. Fragrance people like to believe that “normal” (non-fragrance) people will buy whatever is marketed to them but I don’t see women buying this because I keep seeing it referred to as “cologne” on beauty blogs. Here’s the deal with celeb scents, people buy them in hopes to smell like that celebrity. “Fresh, aquatic masculine” is not what one will associate with Halle Berry. The person that wants to smell like Halle Berry wants to smell floral and feminine. Halle Berry doesn’t really attract a gender queer audience. I think an Agyness Deyn or in all seriousness Reba McEntire would have been better celebrities for this fragrance.
Notes listed include ozone, wild raspberry, water lily, mimosa, violet, cedar, fougere accord, vanilla bean pod, mahogany cashmere and musk. Launch date 2012.PERFUMER – Jacques Cavallier
Give Closer a try if you like aquatic masculine florals. Or if you like the idea of wearing a man’s fragrance marketed to a woman.
Closer has above average projection and sillage in my opinion.
Closer is available at mass market stores and drugstores. The 1 oz bottle retails for $25.
Victoria’s Final EauPINION – Teenage boy fragrance marketed to women – Like I said, I find this fascinating. I’m interested in seeing how the general public responds. I like the idea, but honestly, it smells too “right now” masculine, meaning it smells like the past 25 years of mainstream masculine perfumes. Women will associate this with ex-boyfriends, husband, even their dads. I imagine that this won’t be an easy one to sell. But, I could be wrong. If I had a 13 year old nephew, I’d buy him this. That’s what this Auntie Mame does.
Want more reviews? Try…
*Disclaimer – Product provided by PR. I am not financially compensated for this review. My opinions are my own. Product pic is mine. Halle Berry “Goro” ad from Fragrantica.
- L’Artisan Parfumeur Fleur de Liane EDT Fragrance Review
- Von Eusersdorff New York Classic Mimosa EDP Perfume Review
- The Scent of Departure ICN Seoul EDT Perfume Review
- Inis Cologne Fragrance Review
- NEST Blue Garden Candle Review (11)
- Stormy Morning: Annick Goutal Un Matin d’Orage EDT Fragrance Review (2)
- Davidoff Cool Water for Women EDT Fragrance Review (9)
- Mainstream Monday: Victoria's Secret Very Sexy EDP Perfume Review
- Greetings From Seattle: Demeter Rain PMU Fragrance Review (1)
- Clinique Happy Heart EDP Fragrance Review (4)
- M. Micallef Royal Vintage EDP Perfume Review (2)
- Thierry Mugler A*Men EDT Fragrance Video Review (4)
- The Lipstick League – Week of 5/13/2013 (4)
- Neil Morris Fragrances Rainflower EDP Perfume Review
- 1960′s Fashion – Get the Makeup Look of Wanda Jackson (4)
- Serge Lutens Un Lys EDP Perfume Review (2)
- EauMG at Taste TV Artisan Fragrance Salon – Seattle 2013 – A Re-Cap (12)
- Ramon Monegal Lovely Day EDP Perfume Review (8)
- Caron Yuzu Man EDT Fragrance Review (2)
- Aftelier Secret Garden Natural Perfume Review (4)