EauMG’s Holiday 2012 Gift Guide for the Chic Hipster
Here’s my holiday gift guide for buying gifts for people that are cooler than me. How did I know what to include? I’m in Seattle. It has a high hipster concentration. I can’t avoid hipsters if I tried.
1. Blackbird Incense Pyres in Roheline – Seattle-based Blackbird clothing store has been keeping Seattle gentleman hip and looking more like Copenhagen urban gentleman than geeky tech employees. They have now branched out with some house brand fragrances in their Apothecary. Roheline is a green tomato leaf incense cone. What? You haven’t heard of tomato leaf incense before? A tin retails for $28 at Blackbird.
2. NARS Andy Warhol Edie Gift Set – My hipster watching taught me that all hipsters wish they were Edie Sedgwick so this gift only makes sense even if it is from a brand that you’ve probably heard of. It contains a 60′s pale nude lipstick, liquid eyeliner, blush duo with risqué names, and a cream eyeshadow named after the socialite. This is all housed in a nifty 16mm film canister tin with Edie on it. And I don’t blame hipsters for wanting to be Edie. She was fab. It retails for $75 at Nordstrom.
3. The New Black Digital Underground Nobel Spirits Nail Color Set – Designed by nail artist, Christina Rinaldi, this kit contains 5 jewel tone shades that can be used to create some really cool “indie rock, van touring, blah, blah” nail art. Um, the guitar players I know can’t keep a decent manicure. Anyway, the colors are really rad. Retails for $24 at Beauty.com.
4. Superstar Lipline Lip Balm- This is a shiny lip balm that is a pretty “ready to go to the roller rink” pink. And it smells like cherries. Cherries! It retails for $14 at Superstar Lipline.
5. I Heart Nail Art Sweet Valley High Nail Decals – OMFG! Yes, here’s nail art from the covers of your favorite 80′s Sweet Valley high books. Retails for $6 from this shop on etsy. If they’re out of stock, it’s probably because I ordered them all.
6. Sweet Anthem Solid Perfume Jar in Peter – This is a festive unisex scent with champagne, fruits, leather and woods that is handmade in Seattle by perfumer Meredith Smith. And it’s a solid perfume. It’s totally portable and fits into any Rickshaw messenger bag easily. Retails for $16 at Sweet Anthem.
7. Imaginary Authors Memoirs of a Trespasser EDP – Brand spanking new Portland-based perfume line, Imaginary Authors, is hipster bait with their names and packaging. Memoirs of a Trespasser is a smoky vanilla with wanderlust. The 2 oz. bottle retails for $85 at Imaginary Authors.
8. Rouge Bunny Rouge Bronzing Glow Powder in Goldcombe Bay – Cult British makeup brand, Rouge Bunny Rouge, has bizarre names and twee packaging. The irony is that they don’t follow trends because their focus is on beauty It’s a line for “true seekers” of beauty. Because you know, all of those other beauty brands aren’t focused on um, beauty. Goldcombe bay is a pretty bronzer with faint gold shimmer that gives some color without giving “I’m trying too hard” color. It also doubles as a pretty eyeshadow as well. And I’ll admit it, I’m rather found of their names like “Sketches on Water Tinted Moisturizer” and packaging. Retails for $49 at Beautyhabit.
9. Big Muddy Soapworks Beer Soap with Pabst Blue Ribbon – For the Pabst love’n hipster, give them a bar of this lightly scented lime beer soap. Maybe they’ll take it as a hint to clean up. Or maybe not. Regardless, they’ll love to wash up with this handmade soap. Retails for $7 at Big Muddy Soapworks.
10. Captain Fawcett’s Sandalwood Mustache Wax – My feeling is that the mustache trend has faded but what do I know? Captain Fawcett’s is a great gift for stache’d guys. The packaging is “authentic” looking and it comes in a few scents. I like Sandalwood; however, I admit that there is something sexy about Ylang Ylang. The jar retails for about $19 at American Shaving Company.
I hope that you’ve enjoyed this 2012 gift guide. The Seattle has worn off on me. I want all of the items on this gift guide. Even the wax for my moustache…
And if you need more ideas, check out my 2011 Holiday Gift Guide for the Chic Hipster. Most of those items are still available.
*Nordstrom, Beauty.com and Beautyhabit contain affiliate links. Thanks! Meme is from www.hipstermemes.tumblr.com.
- EauMG’s Mother’s Day Gift Guide 2013 (7)
- EauMG’s Valentine’s 2013 Gift Guide (18)
- EauMG’s 2012 Holiday Gift Guide for Natural Beauties (12)
- The Lipstick League – 12/3/2012
- EauMG’s Holiday 2012 Gift Guide for Sweet Nieces & Teens (8)
- EauMG’s Holiday 2012 Gift Guide for Your Favorite Goth (10)
- EauMG’s Holiday 2012 Gift Guide for Vintage Beauties (13)
- EauMG’s Father’s Day 2012 Gift Guide (8)
- EauMG’s Mother’s Day 2012 Gift Guide (16)
- EauMG’s 2012 Valentine’s Day Gift Guide (4)
- 1960′s Fashion- Get the Makeup Look of Leslie Caron
- Jul et Mad Amour de Palazzo EDP Perfume Review
- Neela Vermeire Creations Bombay Bling EDP Perfume Review (2)
- M. Micallef Royal Vintage EDP Perfume Review (4)
- Thierry Mugler A*Men EDT Fragrance Video Review (4)
- The Lipstick League – Week of 5/13/2013 (4)
- Neil Morris Fragrances Rainflower EDP Perfume Review
- 1960′s Fashion – Get the Makeup Look of Wanda Jackson (4)
- Serge Lutens Un Lys EDP Perfume Review (2)
- EauMG at Taste TV Artisan Fragrance Salon – Seattle 2013 – A Re-Cap (12)