I’ve already done a feature, Feminines for Masculines so I had to do Masculines for Feminines. This is a look at perfumes that I recommend for feminine types/women, even though they are marketed as masculine. Because of this, you’ll see less niche and indie perfumes on the list as many indie brands are post-gender. So, I’ve excluded perfumes that are marketed as unisex and I’ve included those that you’ll find in the “men’s” section of your favorite beauty or department store.
Here are my 15 picks:
1. Dior Homme EDT – Lipstick iris. It’s really amazing that this one wasn’t marketed to women! I think over half of the people that own a bottle are women! Retails for $60 at Sephora.
2. Ormonde Jayne Man EDP – Hemlock and cardamom. Smells like a shade of dark velvety green. If it were a fabric, it’d be velvet. It’s a good choice for a woman looking for something “dark” and bewitching. Available at Ormonde Jayne.
3. Divine L’Homme Sage EDP – Savory spices, woods, and lychee over a smoky leather. I can’t see why a woman wouldn’t enjoy this! It’s a must try for anyone that likes smoky scents. Full review. The 1.7 oz retails for $125 at Luckyscent.
4. Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne - A fresh citrus “eau de cologne” with neroli and aldehydes over clean but peppery woods. Smells completely unisex to me. I highly recommend it for warm climates. Full review. The 5 oz bottle retails for $89 at Nordstrom (please note that I have pictured the wrong one – there are 3 concentrations). – Ladies, men’s bottles are larger…what does that say about their egos?
5. FRESH Cannabis Santal EDP – In my mind this was always a unisex fragrance. However, when you look online, many stores throw it in with the men’s stuff. And that’s bonkers. This is a rich fruity, chocolate with patchouli. Actually, it’s a revamped Mugler Angel. The 1 0z retails for $38 at Sephora.
6. Old Spice – It’s pretty much a simplified, minimalist YSL Opium these days. Rumor has it that this classic masculine was originally formulated for women but things changed once it hit marketing. Retails for like $13 at drugstore.com. BTW - I love the Original Shower Gel. And the Original Deodorant. Seriously reminds me of YSL Opium and Estee Lauder Cinnabar.
7. Givenchy Gentleman – OK, this one is a little more “masculine” but maybe I think that because I knew a man that wore this as his signature fragrance. This 1970′s favorite opens with citrus and herbs and dries down to a classic animalic patchouli. It’s one for the patch-heads to try. Retails for about $55 at Fragrancenet.
8. Costume National Homme EDP- Spicy peach pie. Easily could have been marketed as unisex but it wasn’t. It’s a great choice for ladies that like spicy gourmands. Full Review. The 1.7 oz retails for $80 at Fragrancenet.
9. Caron Pour Un Homme EDT – I know so many women that wear this lavender vanilla. In fact, if I smelled it on a blotter I would think it was marketed as unisex. Maybe at the time of launch things were different. With aromatherapy gone mainstream, people see lavender and vanilla as genderless. You can find this for like $30 at discounters like Fragrancenet.
10. Prada Infusion d’Homme EDT – It’s a fresh, powdery neroli and iris over incense. Good “eau de cologne” substitute for any gender. I recommend it for anyone that can pull-off a pair of distressed jeans and a gray t-shirt. The 1.7 oz retails for $58 at Sephora.
11. Chanel Pour Monsieur EDT - Refreshing citrus and lemon verbena. One to wear if you live in a warm climate. Retails for $70 at Nordstrom.
12. Guerlain Vetiver EDT – Sharp, herbal, green and clean. I have known so many women that have worn or wear this one. In fact, it was one of my favorites about 15 years ago. Retails for $71 at Sephora.
13. CREED Silver Mountain Water – Metallic, cold, icy green tea with currants. Another great choice for warm weather. Sometimes you can find it on discount at Fragrancenet.
14. Guerlain L’Instant Pour Homme EDT – A gourmand cocoa interpreted by Guerlain. It’s gorgeous. Sweet and comforting. I recommend it for women that like heavier perfumes in cooler weather. Retails for about $80 at Fragrancenet.
15. Jovan White Musk for Men – From the company that has been keeping American Men sexy since the 70′s, we have White Musk for Men. It’s a clean, powdery white musk with herbs and fruits. Smells great on sexy men. Smells great on sexy women. Retails for like $10 at drugstore.com.
And as I’ve stated many times before. All perfumes are unisex. Wear what you want and what makes you happy. But, you guys already know that
Can you think of any directly marketed as masculines that feminine types should wear?