e.l.f Beauty Book Neutral Eye Shadow Edition Review
Weekly Cheap Secret:
I still can’t believe that you can get 12 powder eyeshadows and a mini eyeliner for $5! I have very limited e.l.f. (Eyes Lips Face brand) exposure. I never lived near a Target that carried the brand. I would come across the brand in beauty magazines, raving about $1 lip glosses. Well, thank you Internet. These days I can have any cosmetic or fragrance that I want. Well, I have seen these little Beauty Books on beauty blogs. I saw the Smoky on Aquaheart’s Obsessions and the Neutral on The Natural Fashionista . I bought Neutral, because it can be smoky Seriously, I had low expectations for eyeshadows that cost about 40¢ each, but this a great kit.
This book is much larger than I thought it would be. I was thinking more Too Faced Quickie Chronicle size. This e.l.f. palette is way larger. This little “book” contains 12 normal sized eyeshadows. The packaging is OK. It’s cardboard, nothing I would want to travel with. The inside of the book contains a step-by-step guide to eyeshadow application. Does anyone ever use these step-by-step guides? Just wondering.
The Colors: Top Row- shimmery bone shimmer, light brown with silver shimmer, medium brown with silver shimmer, warm dark purple with itty-bitty multi-colored glitter flakes. I love the 2 middle shades. Those shades really make my blue eyes pop.
Middle Row- light peachy beige with silver shimmer, light dusty mauve with silver shimmer, medium dusty mauve with blue-ish silver shimmer, dark matte eggplant. I love the eggplant!
Bottom Row- light peachy beige with silver shimmer (just a tad bit darker than the one above it), warm medium mauve-brown with gold shimmer, dark purple with more red in it than the others, matte espresso brown with a hint of purple. I’m using the heck out of that matte espresso. It is lovely!
I apologize for the crummy swatches. My pictures don’t do the kit any justice. Luckily, far better swatchers than myself have pics up (check out my directory at the end of the post). I know swatches help but I always feel it’s more important to show a look. Below I have a “day” look that I did with the kit using three eyeshadows and the little eyeliner. I really love the final result and it took less than 5 minutes to apply. I swiped on some pink lip gloss and it’s a perfect “everyday” look for me.
Many of the colors are beautiful. For the price, these shadows are awesome. The lighter colors (about 3) are a bit “powdery” when applied with a fluffy shadow brush, but when applied with a shorter bristle brush there are no problems. Most of the colors are packed with pigments; I’m loving the deep matte colors. The colors in the palette are neutral, working for many eye colors. However, I feel these shades make my blue eyes pop. I really do recommend this palette for blue and/or green eyes (lots of purple-browns). These eyeshadows aren’t as pigmented as L’Oreal HIP but they are waaaay better than Covergirl shadows. I have no creasing with these after a work day (and I haven’t been using a primer) and like I said before, most of the shadows stick (not powdery). I love the colors. I’ve been wearing this kit all week. There are so many colors. I haven’t duplicated a look yet!
There’s also a very small eyeliner pencil in dark brown. It’s OK. Compare to Wet n’ Wild.
This entire set retails for $5! It is available at e.l.f. and Target. I know that I want the other 2 BeautyBooks because these are awesome shadows for the price. (Don’t forget to check out my Beauty Steals & Promo page. Sometimes e.l.f. will run crazy good sales on their website.)
Want more reviews? Try…
The Natural Fashionista (video, swatches, review)
What’s On My Face (look, swatches, and review)
Swatch Storm (swatches)
My Fit Beauty (video, look, pics)
*Post contains an affiliate link. If this product is purchased through the link, then EauMG receives a commission. This keeps EauMG running. Thanks!
- Indie Valentine’s Events & Deals – Seattle & On-Line! (4)
- An Intro to Glossybox USA (6)
- Wet n Wild Eyeshadow Trio Review – Knock On Wood (6)
- EauMG’s Overview of Pacifica Perfumes (7)
- Paula’s Choice RESIST Daily Smoothing Treatment Review (9)
- Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Berry Haute (7)
- Wet n Wild Eyeshadow Trio Review – Don’t Steal My Thunder (2)
- Hard Candy Mouthing Off Lip Shine Review (1)
- Wet n Wild Eyeshadow Trio Review – I Dream of Greenie (8)
- CeraVe Moisturizing Cream Review (8)
- M. Micallef Royal Vintage EDP Perfume Review (4)
- Thierry Mugler A*Men EDT Fragrance Video Review (4)
- The Lipstick League – Week of 5/13/2013 (4)
- Neil Morris Fragrances Rainflower EDP Perfume Review
- 1960′s Fashion – Get the Makeup Look of Wanda Jackson (4)
- Serge Lutens Un Lys EDP Perfume Review (2)
- EauMG at Taste TV Artisan Fragrance Salon – Seattle 2013 – A Re-Cap (12)
- Ramon Monegal Lovely Day EDP Perfume Review (8)
- Caron Yuzu Man EDT Fragrance Review (2)
- Aftelier Secret Garden Natural Perfume Review (4)